What to Look for When Searching for a New Vet05.23.2019
Your pet is a member of your family, so you want to make sure that he or she gets the best possible treatment when it comes to veterinary care. Choosing a new vet can be stressful, but once you find one that you love, you’ll be so thankful that you can rely on your vet for any health concerns. Here are six markers of a vet that’ll make everyone in the family happy.
1. Convenience. Don’t choose a vet that is too far away or that has inconvenient hours, because it will only make life more difficult when your pet gets ill or needs vaccinated.
2. A staff you can get along with. If the staff is friendly, knowledgeable and easy to talk to, it will make you feel much more confident about sending your pet to them. Get to know the staff on the phone or in person before committing to that vet in any permanent way.
3. Happy patients. Ask other patients at the vet, either in the waiting room or through recommendations, how they feel about that particular clinic. Are they happy with the care they’re receiving? Would they recommend that you choose that vet as your own? There are few markers more important than happy current patients.
4. A positive atmosphere. Does the staff seem to be happy and passionate about their jobs? If they seem like they’re just "punching a clock", it will be obvious — and a major red flag.
5. Transparent billing practices. Keep an eye on how you’re billed for services performed at the vet’s office. If it seems like your vet lets you know how much things cost as they go, then you’re likely to feel much more trusting than you would if they seem to spring your final bill on you at the end of the visit.
6. The right answers to all of the important questions. Does the vet answer all of your questions — no matter how large or small — with respect? This is incredibly important in choosing a vet, as you’ll want to be able to ask questions without feeling embarrassed or nervous. If you’re able to ask your vet the important questions with ease, then you’ve likely found the one!